Warning, money/art stealers

What a disenchantment today... but bit expected.
Fortunately my 6th sense was warning me and was careful since the begining.

Let me explain how someone tried to steal my artworks and money (that I don't have anyway lol).
This is a warning for every artists who need to sell some art, hoping to make new sales to get some food in the fridge...
Always be careful!

******************

3 days ago, I got 3 messages through Artblr, 1 for each artwork posted on this website. Nothing wrong there, since you can contact the artist from this platform. You can request info per artwork.

Well, for me it was already weird, I even have forgotten that I had an account there. It was not moving, just a few views and likes.
Suspicious, I checked if I can find the profile of this guy on social network with his e-mail. Nothing found. But ok, you can use a different e-mail and name on the SN...

I sent the price and info to this person, thinking that if I can get at least 1 purchase it would be great.

He answered me yesterday introducing himself a bit (from Switzerland but living in France because of his work) and said that he will take all...
And that paypal would be easier to send the payment...
More weird, there were few lines explaining what is paypal in his mail. But let's say that not everybody owns a paypal account and don't especially knows how it works.

To be honest, I found his mail a bit too formal, someone who likes fairies, portrait of a Metal singer etc...But well, I'm not here to judge, let's keep hope that it's someone polite who wants to buy art for him or as gift.

Note that I told that one items was available in my online shop and there he can even get 10% on it.
But, then it would mean 2 transactions, maybe it's boring for people.
Let's continue.

The mail I got at that moment was at 10am, I was busy with stuffs, was planning to answer later... or even not answering at all as I was not feeling well that transaction.
But, artists have to eat, so I don't want to loose a sale and was checking the shipping costs before to answer.

Few hours later, he sent again a mail asking if I got his previous mail because I didn't answer...
Hurry guy?
Ok, let's say that it's for a Valentine gift etc and he doesn't want to be late... hahaha, trying to keep positive.

I answered, sending the paypal account I rarely use, where there is no money and no card linked, with a different e-mail address than the one we were writing.

This morning, I checked my mails, and he sent a mail saying that he sent the money with extra 20€ for the shipping (I didn't say how much it was yet...).
But as he had internet connection troubles, he double checks that I got the notification of the payment... that I have to check my mails and spam.

And also... --- then from this point it was nearly 100% sure that it was a scam ---
... I have to check the mail to follow exact instructions...
If I have already a Paypal account, men, I know how it works... and since I have the app on my phone, I can immediately see if a payment arrives.

I answered that no payment/mail arrived.

Few minutes after, I got a mail from "paypal" in my mailbox... the one not linked to the paypal account I gave him. Yes, sure, paypal is sending a notification to the wrong e-mail account ?!
It was even written that the money will be unlocked when the delivery of the items is done.
Of course, I'm stupid and will send paintings to someone I don't know without payment???!!!

The e-mail that you can see first is : service @paypal.fr (lol)
Then, just checking the real e-mail URL from this message. It was a "gmail.com" account (re-lol).

I've directly answered to the guy "I only got a fake paypal email"... Like that he knew that I was not fooled.
Of course, no more answer...

******************
Such scam happens everyday to many people.
It happens often to people who are selling items on the net, or fake appart renting etc...
But it's the first time that it happens to me like this.
On Artblr it wasn't mentioned that I was selling paintings, just posting some art to introduce my work.


Comments

  1. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. Sadly so many people are out to scam others. They don't care that the rest of us also need to eat and really need the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I wasn't fooled. I use paypal since so many years and it's the main payment form used by the persons who buy me artwork. So I directly knew that was a fake. But I imagine that some artists who are not using this or rarely can get stolen so easily.

      Delete

Post a Comment